NYS Productions Earn Multiple Awards at 2018 ESTA Festival
HOORAY for New York State! Four productions from New York earned multiple awards at the Eastern States Theater Association (ESTA) Festival, held May 4-6, 2018, at the KISS Theatre in Wilkes-Barre, PA.
Officially known as the 2018 ESTAFest Sherman C. Ward, Jr. Original Works Celebration, this festival is the flagship event of ESTA – a Member Regional Organization, Region II, of the American Association of Community Theatre (AACT). ESTA is comprised of five member organizations representing the states of New York, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Maryland and New Jersey.
Four outstanding productions by TANYS member companies represented New York State at the 2018 ESTA Festival:
• Two 2017 TANYS Festival-winning Short Productions competed at ESTA: Welcome to Norway by Rochester’s Black Sheep Theatre (TANYS Best Alternate Short Production), and The Last Trip by Rome Community Theater (TANYS runner up Short Production). TANYS provides funding to its Festival winners each year to help defray the cost of representing New York at the ESTA Festival. (Note: the Best Short Production at the 2017 TANYS Festival, Bleached Blind by Confetti Stage of Albany, withdrew from competition as the company was unable to travel to the ESTA Festival.)
• In addition, two original one-acts that were adjudicated by TANYS within the 2017 cycle (a non-national AACT competition year) were asked to submit their interest in performing as new works at the 2018 ESTA Festival, and were invited to compete at ESTA: Leo, Izzy & Wally by Hand to Mouth Players of Westchester (another award-winner from the 2017 TANYS Festival), and 12 Dollars by Everyone’s Theatre Company of Rochester.
TANYS is thrilled to report that all four New York State member company productions earned 2018 ESTA Festival awards, as follows:
• Everyone’s Theatre Company, 12 Dollars: Outstanding Production, 1st Runner Up
• Rome Community Theater, The Last Trip: Outstanding Production, 2nd Runner Up
• Hand to Mouth Players, Leo, Izzy & Wally: Outstanding Achievement in Ensemble Acting
• Everyone’s Theatre Company, Anderson Allen in 12 Dollars: Outstanding Achievement in Acting
• Rome Community Theater, Ted Lenio in The Last Trip: Outstanding Achievement in Acting
• Rochester’s Black Sheep Theatre, Welcome to Norway: Spencer C. Watson Excellence in Technical Theatre Award
TANYS encourages our member companies to consider having their productions adjudicated for Festival consideration, especially original one-acts/new works. For more information on TANYS adjudication for Festival, visit the Three Types of Adjudication page. For more information on TANYS adjudication in general, visit the What Is Adjudication page.