- Award may be given once during TANYS year (January – December).
- Award is a one-time award – not ongoing throughout 2-4 years of college.
- Award application (download at bottom of page) must be received in the TANYS office by MIDNIGHT, MAY 1, 2024
- You may submit your application by postal mail (address is on the application form), or by email to [email protected]
- Applicant must be a New York State resident.
- Applicant must be a current high school senior who has been active in community theatre and has been accepted to an accredited college or university. Preference will be given to an applicant who is enrolled as a Theatre major or minor.
- Applicant must be a current TANYS Individual Member or sponsored by a current TANYS Individual or Organizational Member.
- Sponsor must provide a letter of sponsorship/recommendation to include:
How long have you known the applicant? Relationship to applicant?
Why do you endorse this applicant?
Why the applicant deserves to be awarded this scholarship?
- Applicant must submit proof of acceptance or enrollment at said college or university.
- Applicant must provide a current school transcript.
- Applicant must submit a resume of their theatrical background, experience, activities, hobbies, and awards (all pertaining to performing arts).
- Applicant must provide an essay stating:
Why are they deserving of this award?
What are their goals for the future in regards to this field of study?
What is the importance of educational theatre and community theatre?
- The winning applicant shall be decided by an impartial committee established by the current TANYS President.
- Decision will be made as soon as possible after May 1.
- Award will be in the form of a check made out to the winning applicant.
- Award shall be announced and presented to the winner at high school graduation (June) (or appropriate high school award ceremony).
- Award shall be announced at the Friday night opening ceremonies of the annual TANYS Festival held the weekend prior to Thanksgiving.
- Award winner and award criteria will be provided to local media.
- Award winner will be posted on the TANYS website and in the TANYS Callboard newsletter.
The Ruth R. Legg Memorial Scholarship is given by TANYS to a current high school senior who has been active in community theatre and is accepted as a Theatre major/minor at an accredited college or university. This scholarship was organized to honor Ruth and carry on her tradition of promoting students interested in theatre.
Ruth was professor emeritus at Finger Lakes Community College in Canandaigua for over 20 years. She was instrumental in local arts efforts and in developing the theater and communications degree programs at FLCC. She remained active at FLCC even after her retirement in 1996. She served on the TANYS Board since its inception in 1987, received the Mary Eva Duthie Award, and also received numerous awards while working with Geneva Theatre Guild. Ruth was also involved with the founding of the Ontario County Arts Council, served as president of the Geneva Women’s Club, and authored a political thriller, Veils of Conspiracy.
The TANYS Ruth R. Legg Memorial Scholarship